Friday, June 13, 2008

You Know Who surfaces


...in Kenya!
AAAAAAAH! AVADA KEDAVRA Y'ALL!

So I have been waiting until someone brought this up so it doesn't sound like mindless news. Apparently the world has just caught on to the fact that witch hunts occur in Kenya... much like when Fudge kept denying Voldemort's return and only realized what was going on a little too late. Most recently, 15 people were killed by a mob of over 100 people. Before that, 11 were burned to death as part of this witch hunt hysteria. Witch doctors, witchcraft, and general juju/ voodoo are common in Kenya and many African countries for that matter. For example, in Tanzania, they hunt albinos for their "powers." Basically, they decapitate and mutilate their bodies, take whatever parts they need and use in their mystical practices. However, in Kenya, the people are killed just for the hell of it. There is usually no evidence of actual witchcraft. Many members of the mob are family members, trying to get revenge or a piece of land. So if you don't like someone... say you saw them chanting around a ring of bones and that is all the evidence you need. I find it quite contradictory that they "hunt witches" when witchcraft and such are kind of a big deal in that culture.
I sound pretty casual about that but T.I.A (This is africa). I am no stranger to such events. When you are exposed to people generally walking around with pangas (machetes), killing people aimlessly, you become desensitized to these things. Not saying that people walked around me chopping off heads or anything but T.I.A. There are no rules, only guidelines. Mob mentality overrules reasoning.

The west is playing this out like the people are savages- God forbid! Witch hunts?!? That would never happen here!
...umm almost every modern civilization has been witness to some form of mass hysteria in the form of witch hunts. Europe alone had witch hunts resulting in tens of thousands of deaths. The U.S of A is not a stranger to witch hunts either. So spare me the African native judgment.

I'm sorry if this seems cold, but after more than a 1,500 people have been killed, about 600,000 displaced, and 140,000 homeless after post election violence in Kenya... witch hunts are just another list of the problems the country has to deal with.

"TSIA!!!"
(you Africans know what that sound means lol)

Photo Credit: www.davidwallphoto.com

1 comment:

Kristian Steffany said...

Yeah.. I'm glad my text merited a blog post. I saw the news piece on the tv during my break at work. I just found it really interesting considering the contradiction you stated about mysticism and magic and what not being common in Africa.

But I think given that sort of background, it's sort of an easy excuse to exact revenge, or steal land, or whatever reason. And no judgment here, I know there have been witch hunts as long as the idea of magic has existed... I guess the West just likes to keep things on their timescale--Salem witchcraft trials... the Catholic church basically (lol)...

anyway, i found the story about the boy scouts saving some people in severe weather in Iowa a bit of an odd juxtaposition...