Saturday, August 2, 2008

Momma said knock you out.

My mother was right when she told me to watch my back, that people would only give me lip service (ok get your mind out of the gutter, ya nasty!). By that she means, that people will always say one thing to your face, and go ahead and say something else behind your back. Naturally, I didn't pay much attention because I thought this was human nature- people lie. So why was she telling me something I already knew? Momma didn't want me to be shocked when it happened. But I still feel crushed when it happens, like someone effortlessly killed the lion I was tracking all day [1]. That after all that time and dedication to a subject, all of a sudden your relationship is gone.
I have 3 friends [2] that I would trust with everything, 3 friends who I could tell anything. I know what you want to say, should you list your friends in order of importance? I never did that because I wanted to give everyone a level playing field [3]. I didn't want to value anyone more than the other because I thought everyone enriched my life in some way. Why are they any different? They never killed my lion. I am cautious of loyalties because I never think they work. But if I was loyal to anyone, they would have to be the ones. Sure, I have a few other "friends" that I share my life with but even they have aimed for my lion. Some have even surprised me with their ability to hide behind bushes and go for the kill, making me doubt my spear chucking skills.
Which brings me to another lesson my mother taught me: knock them the fuck out! keep your enemies close, real close [4]/.

[1] I'm actually in no way an advocate of lion hunting. This was just a comparison.
[2] Friends outside family: not including cousins, "cousins", family friends, or in anyway attached to my family.
[3] Look at me making it seem like people are vying for my friendship, like they care. Way to make yourself feel important!
[4] ...dun dun dun!

2 comments:

Kristian Steffany said...

Your use of footnotes is beautiful.

K- Farah said...

Haha thank you!
I enjoy making them... is that sad? Oh well.