Sunday, August 10, 2008

Living the Dream

I know this is late but whatever.
I don't pay that much attention to basketball with the exception of the occasional game but even I will put aside my sports bias for the USA vs China Men's basketball game.
Before I start, I would like to mention that I underestimated exactly how big Kobe Bryant is in Beijing and I'm not talking about his size in comparison to his fans. Anywhere he is, there is a fan-mob surrounding him, asking for autographs and going crazy with their cameras. The only reason I find this odd is that if I saw Kobe walking on the street, I wouldn't run to him screaming like a raving lunatic [1]. For example, the crowd's reaction when his image was shown on a large screen during the opening ceremony was HUGE. To say that they went wild would be an understatement and basically an insult to his greatness. Perhaps the best example I can give would be when he was bombarded by fans on his way to the his seat during a USA vs Czech Republic women's basketball game [2]. I especially love how the security factor was eliminated by the hoards of Chinese in his face. He needs new bodyguards.
The game was fantastic! The Chinese team put up a lovely showing during the first 15 minutes. It went downhill from there when the 'Redeem Team' smothered China defensively and just shattered the board. I really liked how the Chinese fans stuck with their team though, celebrating after every shot as if they won the gold. How often do they get to watch their team at home during an Olympic game?

That sums the game up quite nicely, I think. Lebron goes up for a SPECTACULAR dunk.
I think Kobe should forget about that whole playing in Europe for $50 million a year and just go play in China. I'm pretty sure they will be willing to put up the money for his transfer. He could then start his quest for total world domination from there since he is more popular than their current leader. Yep... I think that is a pretty solid plan.

[1] I would casually throw myself at him and dramatically faint.
[2] ...Poor Czech Republic. Quelle désastre.

No comments: